Monday, May 5, 2008

But what about the voices?

I am a young single mom and student now taking the ALP program with the Cunard learning centre in Halifax N.S.

I began this program 3 months ago now and feel great about my choice in coming here. I gave up on school in grade 7 when I was 14 years old and pregnant for my first son who is now 14 years of age. I tried once again to go back the following year but then got pregnant again for my second son who is now 11.

Since then I have done some major changes in my life and am fully dedicated to getting a proper education and hopefully achieving my goal of someday becoming a youth worker to help the children of my community as was offered to myself as a youth. I preach to the youth in my community about how strongly important an education truly is and what can be achieved if continued education. I believe that our youth are not given enough opportunity to continue their education, especially those who come form troubled homes. My reasons of this belief are because I live in a community of poverty, trouble and crime and see the children and youth of our future on a daily basis with no hopes in their hearts. I know there are kids networks, help phones, programs. sports. etc for children with special needs. But what about the voices? Does anyone listen to them or understand?

by Spry Gurl NS

No comments: