Thursday, January 31, 2008

where we work 45

And here is what the teachers said:
I have always worked indoors - isn't that interesting? I never thought about that before.

I have always worked with other people - but I can work alone just as well. I would say that all of my work has been teamwork.

I have worked in many adult literacy programs, in a school, in a factory, in a deli, in a government planning office, in a library, in a doctor's office, in a grocery store, in an advocacy office, in a banquet hall, in a women's drop-in shelter, in a home for poor people.

I like to work best in places where I can learn from other people and share what I know.

My rights were most respected I think when I felt protected by a union - being in solidarity with the other people I worked with.
__________________________________

I have always worked indoors. I have either worked in schools or in offices. I have always worked for a salary, rather than as an hourly worker. My biggest complaint about my rights is that employers have often expected me to work longer hours since I was on salary.
__________________________________

Most of my jobs have been indoors. The majority of my time has been spent in offices as a secretary/administration officer. I enjoy working with groups of people, but I also enjoy working alone.

I spent about 2 years in the Canadian Armed Forces as a Finance Clerk. That was the one job where outside work was required, when we were in combat training. How exciting is that?????

When I first started in the workforce I had graduated from Secretary College and continued from there. I have worked for various financial institutions, a law office, a parole board, a food distribution service and now I work for the Literacy Alliance of West Nipissing.

My most enjoyable job is the one I am presently doing. I love helping people learn and feel good about themselves. It feels good to share my experiences with learners and help them understand that everyone is always learning new things.

There has never been a problem with my rights being respected. I have always tried to be aware of my rights in the workplace and if there was anything that didn't seem right, I was sure to question it.

No comments: