Wednesday, February 20, 2008

My Story of Vincent Van Gogh

This is one of Vincent's portrait painting of himself that he painted himself.

When Vincent was still alive he only sold one of his paintings for 10 dollars or 20 dollars and the one who bought it was his brother Theo. This is two of his quotes that he said.

"It is not the language of painters but the language of nature which one should listen to.... The feeling for the things themselves, for reality, is more important than the feeling for pictures."

"I can't work without a model. I won't say I turn my back on nature ruthlessly in order to turn a study into a picture, arranging the colors, enlarging and simplifying; but in the matter of form I am too afraid of departing from the possible and the true."


Here is a letter that Vincent wrote to Theo when he was only 19 years old in 1872.

The Hague, August 1872.

Dear Theo,

Many thanks for your letter, I was glad to hear you arrived home safely. I missed you the first few days and it felt strange not to find you there when I came home in the afternoons.

We have had some enjoyable days together, and managed to take a few walks and see one or two sights between the spots of rain.

What dreadful weather! You must have sweltered from the heat on your walks to Oisterwijk. There was harness racing yesterday for the Exhibition; but the illuminations and the fireworks were put off because of the bad weather, so it's just as well you didn't stay on to see them. Regards from the Haanebeek and Roos families.

Always your loving Vincent.

His influences that Vincent van Gogh has with was Paul Gauguin. He and Paul Gauguin met in Paris in year 1887 in the month of November. Vincent was born in 1853 and His death was in the year of 1890.

by Jennifer

No comments: