Thursday, November 1, 2007

to overcome your fear

How I feel about myself - all my life I thought that I was going nowhere. When you can't read very well it puts a big hole in your life. You think that you will never be able to get a job, to support yourself. Since coming back to school I don't feel that way. When you see on paper that you are going ahead, it feels good inside. To have that power, control over what is going to happen. I have always hid that I couldn't read. Now I don't have to pretend that I am someone I'm not. I am not ashamed that I have a hard time reading. I have confidence, the more I learn, the more I have control, and the more I want!

by Julie C.

1 comment:

Wendell Dryden said...

Way back in the 1990s, there were posters that all said "No Fear!"

They always had guys on bikes or hang-gliders or something. But for me, the fear was about not having a job. No job = no money = no power.

I had one of those posters in my room, and I looked at it for a long time before I went my job interviews.

Your post made me remember that.

Thank you.